Little Wonders


                                                                "Our lives are made

In these small hours
These little wonders,
These twists & turns of fate
Time falls away,
But these small hours,
These small hours still remain"


I've always loved the song Little Wonders by Rob Thomas, which was featured in Disney's Meet the Robinsons. But I've been thinking about the lyrics to the song a lot lately. We have been watching a lot of adoption movies, and that movie is one of our favorites.

Besides the urge to belt out the lyrics when I hear this song, it's also a gentle reminder to be present and enjoy these little moments. It is far too easy to spend all of my time worrying about whether or not Cuddle Bug will be staying with us or if he will be leaving. It is consuming to think about what my family will look like in a month or a year, or even just a week.  As a foster parent, you have to be fluid and very flexible. You have to know that next week, you may have two daughters and a son or maybe you will still have two sons, or maybe you will have your biological son and two empty beds.  Instead of all of that worry, this song reminds me that, at this moment, our family consists of these two beautiful boys.  And when I look back on the time that Cuddle Bug was in our lives, I don't want to regret all of these small hours that I could have been enjoying. Instead, I want to remember the time that Little J tried to calm Cuddle Bug down in the car by saying "It's ok, buddy. We're almost home." Or the first time my little Bug rolled over or laughed at me. What a joy, this time in our lives! What a blessing Cuddle Bug is, for  however long we have him in our family!

Here are some of our other favorite adoption movies, in case you were wondering:
-The Blind Side
-Life As We Know It
-The Odd Life of Timothy Green
-Martian Child
-Tarzan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silent Night, Holy Night

Our CuddleBug

Two Mommies