Establishing a New Normal

Whenever anyone asks how we are doing, I always reply that we are trying to settle down and establish a routine to get things back to normal.  Well, that's not entirely true.  A more accurate response is that we are desperately trying to get used to our new routine, our new normal.  Having 3 kids under 3 years old is not for the weak!  Having two 2-year olds is just the most hectic thing you can imagine (thank the Lord we never had triplets).  When Cuddle Bug was first placed with us as a newborn, it took 3 months to really get settled and to get Little JT used to his new brother role.  I fully expect that it will take at least 6 months to get us all used to our new family dynamic this time.  Sweet Pea was placed with us 4 months ago.  So, we have 2 months to get our act together! ;)  Every little thing we do, from breakfast to outings, is about 10x more difficult.  Here are just some of the things that I have learned with three young kiddos:

-Getting in the mom taxi takes about an hour (inevitably, someone has to go potty or forgets something about 2 seconds after being buckled in)

-To be out of the house for 2 hours, I bring along 2 huge tote bags, a large picnic sized thermal tote full of snacks to feed an army, 17 Hot Wheels, 4 coloring books, waters, back-up waters, diapers, back-up diapers, back-up clothes, bottles, extra formula, blankies, pillows, extra bags for wet clothes, and a few suitcases for good measure.  (No wonder it takes an hour to pack the van)

-During a 20 minute lunch, there will be at least 5 of the following things: spilled milk, screaming, crying, "dog ate my ______", throwing plates on the floor, putting plates on their heads, "I have to go potty", asking for more (and then more, and then more, etc.), and getting mad because they don't want what they asked for.  And people ask me why I don't get time to eat until nap time?

-The bathroom is no longer a safe place to hide.  They will find you.

-Silence is not EVER golden, it is dangerous.

-It is completely true that there is less stress with the 2nd/3rd baby, and now I completely understand why.  The first time around, having a baby was a complicated mess that brought so much anxiety.  Now I understand how easy babies can be (I did say "can" because I know that I have had 2 very very easy babies).

-A schedule is best for everyone.  The toddlers really thrive on a set routine.  And I really get spoiled by afternoon naptime.  About 75% of the time, I can get all of the kids to sleep at the same time.  This is God's way of rewarding me for getting through the morning.


As far as updates, not much new for Cuddle Bug.  We are still just chugging along and wondering what will happen.  He is now 8 months old, and the happiest best baby ever.  No new case updates in a few months with Sweet Pea either.  I am calling almost daily trying to get services established, but we have not had much luck with that.  Trying to keep in mind that I am her best advocate. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silent Night, Holy Night

Our CuddleBug

Letters to J