Magical Memories

I saw a sign recently that I must have!  It said "Excuse the mess, the children are making memories."  I love it!  My house is always a mess now, but I have recently made the decision that I would rather be spending my time playing with my son rather than scrubbing floors constantly or spending hours working out to attempt to get my body back.  Of course, I do clean (especially when it comes to anything that can go in my little boy's mouth) and the hubs and I have been making a real effort to wake up before the baby and take turns working out.  But, when there is a decision to do some exploring/playing that may get messy, the answer is always... YES!!!  This weekend was definitely a hands-on celebration of baby J turning 10 months old.  I also wanted to have some fun this weekend because I am officially done with my Masters Degree! 

Our celebration included making a fort and Baby J's first finger painting.  J loved the fort, crawling in and out of it and laughing.  He really loved that Daddy was inside too, that was apparently hilarious.  And his favorite part: ripping down the fort and playing peek-a-boo with the sheets.  Go figure! 

Then came the finger-painting!  I have to admit, this was a very proud moment and totally earned us the "Cool Parent" award.  I know other parents gave us an eye roll.  But I don't care!  I absolutely love the idea of sensory play for my little adventure!.  Learning through discovery at any age is absolutely vital, and sensory play is perfect for little baby and toddler hands!  I have wanted to try finger painting with J for awhile, but I had to figure out a way to do this when his hands are always going in his mouth.  So I made some paint by heating up flour and water into a paste, then adding food coloring.  This was perfect, because I didn't worry when he licked the paint off his hands, but it didn't taste very good so he did not try it again.  We just put a naked baby J (in a diaper) in his highchair and spread different color finger paint on the tray.  He had so much fun feeling the paste and spreading it around.  And cleanup was a breeze!  We gave the baby a bath, rinsed off the tray and through the high chair cover in the washing machine.  Voila!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silent Night, Holy Night

Our CuddleBug

Two Mommies